Saturday, November 6, 2010

GAMEX 2010: DKC Returns (Tobbii)

Ask me what the most popular game at GAMEX was... It was Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii. This was more crowded than Call of Duty: Black Ops, Dance Central and Killzone 3 which were all very time consuming to get in on. But hell, I wanted to know what all the fuss was about and I really like my old SNES games with Donkey Kong so I should love this right? Right? Read on.

First of all, I'm going to say it right away. I have no idea why this was the most popular game and I have no idea why the game is called Donkey Kong Country Returns. The very basic things play like the original SNES games but it feels more like a brand new game. I personally think the Japanese title is better (It's called Donkey Kong Returns) than ours, mostly because this game should be able to stand on its own rather than being attached to a classic series.

But do it stand on its own? Yes, yes it does. I will admit that I didn't get to play very much of this game, but I had a lot of fun with it. The graphics are okay, not the best I've seen on the Wii but still good enough to not rub you the wrong way. The controls were a little iffy, I did not like shaking the Wii Remote to get Kong to roll, also there aren't any helpful tutorials in the first stage which caused me to die because I didn't understand what I was going to do when I got to places where I had to use the new moves like gliding using Diddy's Jetpack.

I wish I could have played more, because I want to really love this game, but at the moment it doesn't feel more than "okay", we'll see in a few weeks how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment