Tuesday, November 8, 2011

GAMEX 2011 - Preivew: Luigi's Mansion 2

Luigi's Mansion 2 is one of my most anticipated games for next year, I said so several times during the E3 Podcast back in June. Well I finally got my hands on the demo at GAMEX. So how did it fair, well you know the deal by now, watch the video and read my impressions. Let's-a Go!


Luigi's Mansion 2 plays like it's predecessor in that you walk around as Luigi, in mansions, vaccuum cleaning up Ghosts. I did not get any details on the story this time, but I'm hoping it's not a re-hash of the original story in which Mario got trapped in a magic painting by Boo's after Luigi's mysteriously won a mansion in a contest he didn't enter. Don't get me wrong, I love that plot, but I want something new. We'll see how it fairs. The gameplay however, remains as solid as ever.

One of the cool new things about Luigi's Mansion 2 is the ability to charge up your flashlight for a super-flash to stun multiple ghosts. You do this by holding down the Y button and releasing it after a few seconds. It's handy and a nice addition, the other new ability is being able to steer your vaccuum cleaner with the gyroscope. This felt odd as it was seemingly the only way to steer it, causing issues for Jimmy filming me, and I'm hoping for some other option in the final game.

On to the bad stuff. The framerate drops, a lot. I'm really hoping this is fixed soon because at certain points, that I hope are visible in the video, the game dropped to almost an unplayable stage. This was mostly during times that the camera wanted to pan up and show something in the distance, so it probably has to do with the 3DS processing to much at once. But with games like Resident Evil and Kid Icarus sporting amazing visuals and a lot of things on screen, I do expect this to be fixed by launch.

Luigi's Mansion is looking awesome. But if they don't fix that framerate issue there will be problems, so I'm going to go a bit softer on my anticipation for now, but if you hear other previews mentioning it closer to launch, I say carefully think about your investment. Hopefully a great game, if they fix the framerate.

Level of Anticipation:
7/10 - Looks Good

No comments:

Post a Comment