Tuesday, November 8, 2011

GAMEX 2011 - Preview: Super Mario 3D Land


I was not a fan of Super Mario Galaxy. Right there you can tell that I'm in a minority when it comes to Mario games. My favourite ones are Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario Sunshine. That's right, Super Mario Sunshine. So when I say Super Mario 3D Land is the first Mario game that has me really hyped in a long time, it's kind of big deal. I got to play two stages, let's not waste any more time. Let's-a Go! (Yes, I know I already did that joke in a earlier preview, I should have saved it for this.)


Super Mario 3D Land, shortened to Mario 3D from here on out, is a lot of fun. There's no denying that. The game plays like classic 2D Mario but in a 3D environment, and what more could a fan ask for really? Well okay, I would personally want FLUDD Mario as a costume, but that's just me. The Tanooki Suit, even if it can't fly, is awesome to run around in and seeing Mario lose his hat when he grows small is actually pretty funny the first time around as it brings you back to the old Mario 64 days when the bird stole your hat. Damn bird, I never got it back,

All joking aside, there is one issue with the game. The circle-pad did not feel right with the game. This is a huge matter since I figured that this game would feel better than any other game on the 3DS when it came to full-directional control. But for some reason I could not get Mario to move like I wanted him to, he slipped off edges and a lot of time I actually lost my grip on the pad due to having to change direction mid-air or any other reason. It might just be that the 3DS I played on had a slippery circle-pad or something, but it did not feel very good. Might also just be a learning curve, in fact, I'm pretty sure that was the case as I did control Mario better on the second stage. With that said, high anticipation for this game later this month.

Level of Anticipation:
8/10 - Looks Great

No comments:

Post a Comment